Despite the global economic crisis, some high-tech industry continues to show solid profit producers. For example, Western Digital reported on the successful financial results of the first quarter of 2009 fiscal year which ended September 26.
During the period under review, revenue amounted to $ 2 WD, 1 billion, net profit - $ 211 million, or $ 0, 93 per share. In quantitative terms, it was sold to 39, 4 million units. Compared with the figures of last year, revenue grew by 19% and sales volume - at 34%. Recall that in the first quarter of last fiscal year revenue the company made $ 1, 8 billion, net income - total $ 69 million, or $ 0, 31 per share, as sales volumes - 29, 4 million Such a big difference in the net profit attributable to the huge payments associated with the transfer of licenses subsidiaries, as well as the allocation of large sums on research and development acquired in the past year, the company Komag.
Western Digital sold 14, 6 million 2, 5-inch hard drives for laptops and external hard drive and 3, 9 million 3, 5-inch drive market for PVR/DVR-devices. The company noted growth in sales of SATA-enterprise-class hard drive, as well as solutions technology to support GreenPower for home desktop PCs, the corporate sector and market consumer electronics.
Of the new products presented in the first quarter of 2009 fiscal year, WD said:
- Family 2, 5-inch hard drive WD Scorpio Blue with a capacity of up to 500 GB;
- 2, 5-inch vinchestery My Passport capacity of 500 GB;
- The second generation hard drives WD Caviar Green;
- High-speed network drives WD ShareSpace capacity up to 4 TB;
- Introduction of the new 3, 5-inch Terabyte SATA-drives and high-speed drives WD RE3 capacity of 750 GB;
- The new hard drive WD VelociRaptor in the form factors of 2, 5 and 3, 5.